Child Care for Homeless Families

Experiencing homelessness and needing child care services is a challenge. The State makes it easier for you to receive help paying for child care, even if you don’t have all of the required documents at the time of application for assistance. If you lack a fixed and adequate nighttime residence, you may meet the definition of “homeless”. Specifically, that means living in:

  • Shared housing due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or a similar reason;
  • Motels, hotels, or campgrounds because you don’t have alternative accommodations;
  • Emergency or transitional shelters;
  • Locations not designed or intended for human sleeping, such as park benches; cars, parks, public spaces, bus or train stations, or abandoned buildings.

If you are facing one of these situations and are unable to provide the necessary documents with your application, you may have up to six months to submit the required paperwork. During this time, your family can start receiving a child care subsidy. Please call Child Care Connection’s subsidy team at 609-989-8035 for assistance.